THE BORE STONE
The Incription Reads:
'In which the Royal Standard
was last pitched for the muster of the Scottish army
on the Borough Muir before the Battle of Flodden,1513.
It long lay in the adjoining field, was then built
into the wall near this spot and finally placed here
by Sir John Stuart Forbes of Pitsligo, 1852.
Highest and midmost was desiret,
The Royal Banner floating wide,
The staff a pine tree strong and straight,
Pitch'd deeply in a massive stone,
Which still in memory is shown,
Yet bent beneath the Standards weight